Richard Bain understands that business problems require good sense business solutions. Combining his almost 40 years of legal and public service experience with his ability to drill down to the fundamental issues and nuances of a case, Richard is able to identify solutions in order to expeditiously resolve matters. He is adept at interpreting issues, mastering facts and presenting compelling arguments to resolve business, commercial, construction, real estate and employment disputes. He represents business owners, employers, landlords and medical professionals. Richard’s tactical skills, professionalism and ability to strategically navigate interactions with opponents in and outside the courtroom are highly valued by clients.
• Represented Receiverships in matters including; sale and future development of failed suburban mall; recovery of assets and distribution of proceeds to victims of failed pain management business; recovery and sale of secured real estate and gas pipeline assets for major national bank
• Represented a Committee Member regarding committee matters in the recent Chapter 11 case – In re FirstEnergy Solutions Corp. – the largest Chapter 11 case pending in the Northern District of Ohio
• Successfully blocked confirmation of foreclosure sale for minimum value resulting in multimillion dollar settlement by the Ohio Department of Transportation to purchase property in eminent domain proceedings.
• Successfully defended shareholder and fiduciary duty dispute between owners of steel mill.
• Counsel and advocate on behalf of owners, construction managers, general contractors and subcontractors, architects and engineers in matters involving design-build, time/material, contracts, AIA clauses and mechanic’s liens.
• Defended insurance coverage issues regarding performance bonds, including bad faith allegations involving carriers and rights of recovery of carriers for bond payment.
Civic and Professional Involvement
• Mayor, City of Pepper Pike, 2012 – Present
• Cuyahoga County Mayors and Managers Association, Treasurer, Executive Board Member
• Suburban Water Regional Council of Governments, Chairperson
• Anti-Defamation League (Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia and Western Pennsylvania Region), Co-Chair Civil Rights Committee, Board Member
• Cuyahoga County Emergency Services Advisory Board, Executive Board Member
• Cleveland Food Bank, Advocacy Committee, “Kitchen Cabinet”
• New Directions (Non-profit Adolescent drug and alcohol residential rehabilitation facility), Board of Directors
• Chagrin River Watershed Partners, Inc., Board of Trustees
• Crossroads (Non-profit servicing adolescents who are experiencing emotional, behavioral and substance abuse problems), Board of Directors
• Valley Enforcement Regional Council of Governments (VERCOG), Member and past President
• Leadership Cleveland, Class of 2017
• Ohio Super Lawyer, 2015-2019
• US News “Best Lawyer,” 2017
• Inside Business “Leading Lawyer,” 2010
• 2020 Edition, The Best Lawyers in America©, Litigation – Construction
• United States Supreme Court
• United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
• United States District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
• Miami University (B.A.)
• Case Western Reserve University (J.D., cum laude)