Chair, Civil & Commercial Litigation Group
Peter Turner is an experienced trial attorney representing clients in complex business disputes and commercial litigation through all forms of dispute resolution. His practice focuses on disputes based on contract, tort, internal governance, ownership and succession issues, employment, professional liability, unfair competition, trade secrets and construction, UCC and banking practices matters. He strives to settle matters and assist clients in making cost-effective business decisions through reasonable compromise. If the situation calls for adversarial proceedings, Peter represents parties in state and federal courts throughout Ohio before judges and juries as well as in all forms of alternative/non-judicial dispute resolution proceedings.
As a result of the Peter’s experience in jury and bench trials as well as arbitration and administrative proceedings, he has developed a strong understanding of courtroom rules and procedures and effectively applied that experience when handling such matters. Peter has a proven track record of demonstrated composure and poise through many adversarial situations. He maintains an ongoing flow of communication with clients so as to avoid surprises. Peter advises his clients on not only the legal aspects associated with the risks, challenges and potential outcomes of the situation but also provides guidance to clients on their role while striving to remain objective and credible throughout the process.
Peter is married with two grown sons. He enjoys spending time with family and recently welcomed his first grandchild. Peter enjoys playing and watching sports, in particular golf, and reading all types of books, especially mysteries and history.
• Represented shareholder in claim against corporation and remaining shareholders arising out of dispute over valuation of shareholder client’s buyout according to the terms of a buy-sell agreement.
• Represented Netherlands Antilles corporation in claim against bank over right to collateral used to satisfy indebtedness.
• Represented Ohio corporation as a result of industrial espionage and theft of trade secrets by foreign competitor and former employee.
• Defended Taiwanese manufacturer of computer motherboards in a UCC dispute arising from alleged defects in chips and capacitors in the motherboards.
• Represented retail store customer injured when an employee lost control of a display case.
• Defended Fortune 500 company in a UCC dispute involving incompatibility of plastic bottles and plaintiff’s paint stripper product.
• Defended former general manager of automobile dealership on claim of conspiracy to commit fraud in sale of dealership.
• Represented former employee/doctor of medical corporation in dispute over indebtedness to local hospital.
• Defended Fortune 500 company in products liability claim arising from injuries sustained by a steel worker when a 100-ton electric arc furnace exploded.
• Defended architectural metal products manufacturer in UCC action, including claims of breaches of warranty of fitness for particular purpose and warranty by sample, arising out of construction of downtown Cleveland skyscraper.
Civic and Professional Involvement
• American, Ohio State and Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Associations
• CMBA Judicial Selection Committee
• Orange Community Athletic Association, Former President
• Captain/Judge Advocate in the United States Air Force, 1982 – 1986
• Ohio Super Lawyer, 2008 – 2021
• United States Supreme Court
• U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
• All Ohio State Courts
• The Ohio State University, B.S., 1978
• Case Western Reserve University, J.D., 1981