David Smith is an experienced attorney who focuses his practice on employment litigation, business disputes, civil rights litigation, and a wide variety of complex claims. He has successfully represented clients in state and federal courts on a wide range of issues and in a number of administrative proceedings including the Ohio Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
In addition to his litigation work, David advises companies and governmental agencies on employment matters and risk management. He has experience with drafting employment agreements, employment handbooks, and regularly advises clients on the ever-changing issues related to the Family Medical Leave Act, State and Federal Anti-Discrimination Laws, and the Fair Labor Standards Act.
David resides with his wife and three sons in Cleveland Heights and is an active member of St. Dominic Catholic Church. He regularly participates in his sons’ school activities and frequently volunteers in the community with the church. David and his family enjoy cooking together, hiking, kayaking, and spending time in nature.
Civic and Professional Involvement
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys
- Ohio Public Transit Association (OPTA)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
– Civil Rights & Governmental Liability Committee
– Marketing Committee Chair
– Membership Chair (Current)
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (FDCC)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- Heidelberg University (B.S., Cum Laude, 2002)
- Cleveland State University – Cleveland Marshall College of Law (J.D., 2005)