Steve Dlott, an Ohio Certified Specialist in Workers’ Compensation law, defends employers in all aspects of workers’ compensation claims, including defense of fraudulent claims, positive post-accident drug/alcohol-related claims, death claims, and excessive lost time claims. Steve’s workers’ compensation expertise also includes defending employers in VSSR (Violation of Specific Safety Requirement) claims and disputes with the Ohio BWC regarding worker misclassification and successor liability. Steve also counsels employers on return to work issues, light duty assignments, drug-free workplace issues and accident investigations.
Steve’s background also includes many years as an Assistant Attorney General representing several state agencies. As an Assistant AG, Steve represented several agencies including the Ohio State Pharmacy Board, the Ohio State Medical Board, the Department of Health, and the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation.
Steven is a frequent speaker on the defense of workers’ compensation claims to a wide range of employers within private and public sector organizations including presentations in 2013-15 at the Ohio Safety Congress, the 2016 Northern Ohio Safety Expo, and numerous area Safety Councils and various professional continuing education seminars.
Steve is married and has three children.
• Successfully defended a manufacturing company in the denial of claim for post-accident positive drug test.
• Successfully represented a nursing home and challenged back sprain claim with the potential for back surgery and extended work disability.
• Prevailed in VSSR claim for a warehouse supplier against injured worker seeking penalties for injuries arising out of allegedly defective tow motor
Civic and Professional Involvement
• Ohio State and Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Associations
• City of University Heights, Financial Lay Committee
• Beachwood Chamber of Commerce, Board Member
• Certified Specialist in Ohio Workers’ Compensation Law
• Ohio Super Lawyer, 2010 – 2014
• BWC Safety Congress: The Addicted Workforce 2015, 2016
• BWC Safety Congress: Anatomy of an Investigation 2015
• BWC Safety Congress: Return-to-Work Issues 2014
• Cleveland, Southwest: Lorain County, Medina, Ashtabula County, Geauga County, Western Reserve Safety Councils Safety Councils – Successfully Defending a Workers’ Compensation Claim
• Lake County Safety Expo., Mahoning County SHRM – 5 Mistakes Employers Make in Workers’ Compensation Claim
• Meyers, Roman, Friedberg & Lewis Client Alert articles:
– 2016: Medical Marijuana
– 2015: Workers’ Comp. for Homeowners: Are You on the Hook for Your Repairman’s Injuries?
– 2014: Psych. Claims: Not the Dead Bang Loser You Might Think
– 2013: Primer on VSSR’s
– 2012: Red Flags for Suspicious Workers’ Compensation Claims
– 2012: Successor Liability and Workers’ Compensation
– 2011: Accident Investigations: The Weakest Link
• U.S. District Court in both the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
• All Ohio State Courts
• New York University, B.A. 1982
• Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D. 1985
Mock Workers’ Compensation Hearing