Scott Heasley’s practice encompasses representing public and private companies in commercial and general civil litigation and transactional matters. He also represents individuals, families, professionals, and businesses in all phases of dispute resolution including mediation, arbitration, and appeals before state and federal courts. Scott represents lending institutions in workouts, foreclosures, and bankruptcy matters and defends clients in business disputes, motor vehicle accidents, and transportation matters involving towing and cleanup fees. He also represents plaintiffs in civil cases involving property disputes and collection matters. Scott has handled multiple housing court matters, representing both plaintiffs and defendants, throughout his career.
Scott’s transactional experience includes counseling private companies, partnerships, and individuals on their business transactions such as entity formation, contract drafting and review, buy-sell agreements, leasing, and commercial real estate transactions.
Scott and his family live in Moreland Hills, Ohio. He is an avid runner and enjoys working around the house and spending time with family and friends.
Civic and Professional Involvement
- Multiple CLE presentations, 12/2019, on “Advanced Business Contracts: Secrets Only the Top Attorneys Know…”
- American Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Vice President of Membership, 2016-17
- Cleveland Leadership Center, Civic Leadership Institute, 2018
- College Now Greater Cleveland, mentor, 2013-present
- Greater Cleveland YMCA “We Run This City,” Youth Marathon Program Volunteer/ Fundraising Committee Member, 2010-present
- Legal Aid Society of Cleveland, Volunteer, 2006-present
- Defended commercial real estate developer facing $30 million claim? Negotiated settlement wherein client received payment from plaintiff.
- Represented court-appointed receiver managing liquidation of large subcontracting firm and negotiated 15 settlements related to unpaid accounts receivable.
- Serve as outsourced general counsel for mid-sized general contracting firm, handling litigation, collections, transactions and governance matters.
- Represented regional bank in workouts and high-end foreclosure matters.
- Represented private lender in multiple collection matters.
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in trade secret, unfair competition, and confidentiality agreement enforcement actions.
- Represented international railroad company in property dispute matters.
- Represented international retailer in premises liability case and negotiated nominal settlement.
- Represented trucking companies in cargo, towing and Carmack cases.
- Defended small business owners in breach of contract and consumer protection matters.
- Negotiated mid-six-figure settlement in motor vehicle accident involving family of four claiming permanent brain injuries.
- Obtained summary judgment for trucking company whose vehicle was unlawfully seized and sold by towing company. Prevailed in oral argument on cross-motions for summary judgment.
- First Chair trial experience in landlord-tenant matter that was eventually argued the Eight District Court of Appeals.
- Represents residential property owners in eviction proceedings. Has evicted delinquent renters and squatters.
- Represents employers in worker’s compensation appeals.
- Represents plaintiffs in partition cases involving co-owners of residential properties.
- Represents small business owners in American Arbitration Association matters.
- Draft start-up and investor documents (operating agreements, PPMs, subscription agreements, etc.) for entrepreneurs, retailers, real estate developers and non-profits.
- Advise small business owners on buy-sell agreements, operating agreements and commercial leases.
- Negotiate sales of residential investment properties.
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2019 – 2020
- Ohio Super Lawyer, 2021
- Ohio University (B.A., 1997)
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law (J.D., 2010)