Andrew Thomas has more than 25 years of experience in representing all aspects of the energy business, ranging from electricity and natural gas procurement contracts to oil and gas transactions and litigation. Prior to coming to Ohio, Andrew was an oil and gas lawyer in New Orleans, Louisiana, where he represented the Louisiana Mineral Board, among other clients.
Andrew is executive in residence for the Energy Policy Center at the Levin College of Urban Affairs at Cleveland State University, where he administers and directs research on energy law and policy. He has been teaching intensive short courses in oil and gas contracts at various venues around the world for the past 20 years. His private law practice focuses on oil and gas transactions and litigation, electricity regulation and energy contracts.
- Executive in Residence, Energy Policy Center, Levin College of Urban Affairs, Cleveland State University (2009-present)
- Ohio Oil and Gas Commissioner (2016-present)
- Ohio Fuel Cell Commission, Board of Directors (2015-present)
- μGrid Cle, Principal Investigator (Microgrid Collaboration, Cleveland State University, Case Western Reserve University, Cuyahoga County, City of Cleveland, Cleveland Foundation) (2017)
Presentations and Courses
- Instructor: Oil and Gas Contracts and Negotiations, Rike Service Inc. (US, Kuwait, Trinidad, Abu Dhabi), Corporate Partner Solutions (US, Nigeria) (1995-present)
- Energy Law and Policy, Cleveland Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University (2010-present)
- “Shale Investment Dashboard in Ohio,” Urban Publications. 0 1 2 3 1500 (2017). http://engagedscholarship.csuohio.edu/urban_facpub/1500
- “Electricity Customer Choice in Ohio: How Competition Has Outperformed Traditional Monopoly Regulation.” (2016). Urban Publications. 0 1 2 3 1416.
- “Analysis of Supply Chain Opportunities for Fuel Cell Buses,” (2017). Urban Publications. 0 1 2 3 1465.
- “Understanding Electricity Markets in Ohio,” (2014) Urban Publications. 0 1 2 3 1268.
- Complete list of EngagedScholarship@CSU publications may be found at: http://engagedscholarship.csuohio.edu/urban_enpolc
- Kent State University (B.S. 1979, MS 1982)
- Loyola University School of Law (J.D., 1989)
– Law Review Editor