Matt Golish has spent most of his legal career litigating all phases of significant legal matters in both civil and criminal law. He brings 10 years of legal, pragmatic and strategic planning experience gained from representing clients in their most important and extensive lawsuits. Matt also applies the trial skills, persistence and intuition he developed as a prosecutor to each matter.
As a prosecutor, Matt prosecuted felony cases and some of the county’s most serious criminal matters including death penalty cases. Child sexual abuse cases and large-scale grand jury investigations. He developed a skill for prosecuting individuals and entities that committed crimes in the course of their profession or business. Matt has successfully tried more than 85 cases to jury verdict and successfully defended all but one matter on appeal.
Since beginning his civil practice, Matt has litigated high profile and complex litigation matters, including wrongful death and catastrophic injury cases, “Bet-the-Company” litigation and complex civil actions. These matters have included multi-jurisdictional matters, coordinated proceedings and class actions throughout Ohio as well as across the country. Matt has significant experience representing clients in the areas of commercial litigation, employment litigation, insurance and white-collar criminal matters. He also devotes a significant amount of his practice to defending products at the forefront of technological development.
Matt’s diverse background and perspective allows him to effectively represent businesses, professionals and individuals. His qualification as a Certified public Accountant (CPA) allows him to provide unique insight at all stages of representation, including consulting with clients at all stages of representation, including consulting with clients on risk management issues and strategies to reduce exposure to claims and lawsuits.
Outside of the office, Matt enjoys being outdoors, walking the family’s two basset hounds (slowly), spending time with family and friends, and rooting for the Browns, Cavs, Indians, and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.
Civic and Professional Involvement
• Cleveland Metro Bar Association
• Ohio Bar Association
• Former Head Coach John Hay Mock Trial team, City Champions
• Former Instructor, Cuyahoga Community College’s Women in Transition. Financial Literacy and You and the Law
• Guest Lecturer Cuyahoga Community College’s Paralegal Studies
• Instructor, Goldman Sachs 10,000 small businesses program
• “White Collar Criminal Statutes: What civil lawyers need to know and why?” (August 2010)
• “Fact Discovery in the Information Age” (June 2009)
• US Supreme Court
• Supreme Court of Ohio
• Sixth Circuit US Court of Appeals
• US District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
• Certified Public Accountant (inactive)
• University of Notre Dame (B.B.A., 1996)
• Cleveland-Marshall College of Law (J.D., 1999)