Joseph M. Saponaro is a trusted leader and accomplished attorney with more than 20 years of experience in complex real estate transactions, including acquiring, selling, leasing, financing, and developing commercial real estate, on a regional and national basis. Prior to practicing law, Joe served as Chief Administrative Officer for a private national company for over 10 years. His vast business experience and diverse education, coupled with his natural skills as a dynamic communicator, have enhanced and advanced his legal practice.
• Represented restaurant franchisees in leasing 50 in-line and out-parcel locations nationwide
• Represented client in sale of $300-million office building
• Represented client in sale of $60-million industrial portfolio
• Represented major tenant in a 65,000 SF office lease
• Represented modal transportation company in obtaining $5-million grant from Ohio Department of Transportation
• Represented client in obtaining over $500,000 in appropriation matter regarding the I-90 Inner Belt Bridge project
• Represented commercial landlords in 100+ leasing transactions with national and regional tenants
• Represented clients with respect to multiple joint venture development of 80/20 residential projects
Civic and Professional Involvement
• Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Real Estate Law Section; Chair, 2006 2007, 2015-2017.
• Real Estate Institute Planning Committee, 2004-present.
• American Bar Association; Vice Chairman of the Retail Leasing Committee for the Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section
• Justinian Forum
• Lawyer’s Guild
• Ohio State Bar Association
• Cleveland-Marshall Law Alumni Association
• Acting judge, Rocky River Municipal Court
• Mayfield Village Council President (past) and Council Member for over 15 years, completing his last term in 2019 before retiring from public service.
• Ohio “Super Lawyers,” Real Estate Law, 2017-2020
• Martindale-Hubbard – AV Preeminent rating
• Outstanding Fellow – Leadership Academy of Cleveland State University-Levin College of Urban Studies, 2005
• Established Leader – Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Inaugural Leadership Academy, 2018
• Bar Journal of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, “The Public Trust Doctrine and Submerged Lake Erie Lands in Ohio”
• Builders Exchange Magazine, “Choosing the Right Entity for Your Business”
• Clev. St. L. Rev., 115, “Determining the Immunity ‘Measuring Stick:’ The Impact of the Health Care Quality Improvement Act and Antitrust Laws on Immunity Aspects of Granting Privileges to Physician Assistants”
• Northern District of Ohio
• US Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
• All Ohio State Courts
• District of Columbia
• Bowling Green State University, BS in Business Administration, 1986
• Cleveland State University, MA in Economics, 1996
• Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 1999