Jon has spent his entire career solving employers’ workforce problems, focusing his practice on management-side labor and employment law. His experience covers all areas of labor and employment law including significant trial experience at both boutique and general practice law firms.
Jon serves as outside labor and employment counsel for businesses by drafting employment policies and agreements, auditing human resources practices, advising on day-to-day employment issues such as employee discipline and terminations, monitoring labor relations and implementing union avoidance strategies, conducting workplace investigations, ensuring compliance with labor and employment laws, and assisting companies with their cybersecurity conformity.
Jon also represents businesses in employment and labor disputes in litigation matters including wage-and-hour class action certification, discrimination and retaliation, trade secrets theft, and labor union decertification matters.
Jon lives in Berea with his wife, two children, and their dog. In his spare time, he is active at his children’s school, and works as an unpaid roadie for their burgeoning rock-and-roll careers.
• Represented industrial manufacturing company in defeating certification of wage-and-hour class action lawsuit
• Obtained jury verdict in a theft of trade secrets case for software company, thereby protecting the secrecy and propriety of its code
• Decertified a labor union of the employees of an industrial manufacturing company, thereby ensuring the free choice of its employees not to be represented by a union
Civic and Professional Involvement
• Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
• Ohio Chamber of Commerce, Employment Law Committee Member
• Workforce magazine, Editorial Advisory Board Member and monthly columnist
• International RASopathies Foundation, General Counsel
• Ohio Super Lawyers “Rising Star” (2007, 2009 – 2013)
• Ohio Super Lawyers (2016 – 2017)
• Author of the Ohio Employer’s Law Blog (www.ohioemployerlawblog.com), recognized by the ABA Journal as one of the top 100 legal blogs from 2010 – 2015, and, in 2016, inducted into the ABA Journal’s Blawg Hall of Fame
• In-demand national speaker on variety of labor and employment issues, including social media, workplace technology and privacy, cybersecurity, harassment, ADA, FMLA, wage and hour law, and the National Labor Relations Act
• The Employer Bill of Rights: A Manager’s Guide to Workplace Law (Apress), Author, 2012
• Think Before You Click: Strategies for Managing Social Media in the Workplace (Thompson), Author, 2011
• Representative Blog Posts:
• U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit and the Federal Circuit
• U.S. District Courts, Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
• Northern District of Illinois
• Northern District of Oklahoma
• U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Ohio
• All Ohio State Courts
• Binghamton University, Phi Beta Kappa, B.A., 1994
• Case Western Reserve School of Law, Order of the Coif, J.D., 1997